Early in our marriage, one of our stand-by dinners was a Cooking Light recipe called Rice and Beans with Pesto. I’ve revised it a bit as our way of cooking has evolved, but it’s still a stand-by nearly 18 years later.
- 4½ cups cooked short grain brown rice (cooked in vegetable broth)
- 2¼ cups cooked beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen petite green peas, thawed (about 2¼ cups)
- 1 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup homemade or commercial basil pesto sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- I used our trusty rice cooker ahead of time to prepare the rice, using 1½ cups short grain brown rice with 2½ cups low sodium vegetable broth on the white rice setting. You could also do it on the stove-top following the directions on the bag.
- I cooked up some sprouted beans, but canned beans would work nicely as well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice, beans, peas, tomatoes and pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with grated cheese.
Adapted from Cooking Light's recipe for Rice and Beans with Pesto.
What’s your go-to recipe for rice and beans?