1. Combine all ingredients except pears in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Stir until sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer.
3. Add pears and return to a simmer. Cook gently for 5 to 6 minutes or until pears are tender.
4. Remove pan from the heat and let the pears sit in the poaching liquid for 5 minutes.
5. Remove cinnamon stick and pears and set aside.
6. Bring the poaching liquid to a boil and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until it has been reduced to about 3/4 cup. The syrup will thicken as it cools.