1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut the top crust (about 1/8 inch) off the focaccia. This makes a better surface for the toppings, and in some cases, will remove the salt that’s been sprinkled on the top.
3. Spread the pesto over the bread.
4. Spread the onion confit over the pesto.
5. Place pears face down on top of the onion confit.
6. Sprinkle the pieces of brie over the top.
7. Bake for 10 minutes to warm through.
8. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
9. Cut focaccia into 8 pieces. Serve each piece drizzled with 1 tablespoon warm mulled wine syrup.